Your Real Estate Resource
Selling Your Home
Selling your home can be stressful. Making the decision, preparing the house for sale, keeping it clean, waiting for a buyer,
dealing with offers, and advancing to the closing table...all of these steps take time and proper planning. This is a huge
Hire a REALTOR®
One thing to keep in mind is that you’re not alone. An experienced, professional real estate agent can guide you through the
process, help resolve any issues that come up, and ensure that your home sells for the optimal price in a timely manner.
Studies show that home sellers who use a REALTOR® to represent them generally get a better price than those who sell the
home themselves. REALTORS® are up-to-date on critical processes and can help keep you out of trouble. They can also
help you get your home sold at the best price in the right time frame. Equally as important, REALTORS® add objectivity to an
inherently emotional transaction... the sale of your home.
Before Your Home Is Listed
It's important to have your home in good showing condition before buyers start going through it. Here are some steps to take:
- Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
- Address the issue of new carpeting and flooring with your Realtor if it appears worn or dated.
- Make sure the front is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favorable first impression. Trim bushes and
plants as needed, and make sure the lawn is kept mowed and trimmed. In autumn, rake the leaves; in winter, keep the
- Keep the interior clean, decluttered and odor-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
- Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home.
- Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage. Now is the time to clean out the garage and basement and
sell, give away or throw away items you don't need anymore.
- Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed. Buyers will be hiring professional inspectors; here's your chance to
address problems in advance.
- Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal.
During the Listing Period
When potential buyers visit your home, either be absent or make yourselves as inconspicuous as possible. If offers are made
that don't match your hoped-for price, don't reject them out of hand. Pay attention to your agent's advice. Consider dropping
the price if several months go by with few or no offers. But if you and your agent have priced your home properly from the
start, this shouldn't be necessary. Don't get discouraged. In buyer's markets, homes take longer to sell than during boom
times. Your home will eventually sell if it is priced correctly.
Help Me...Help You!
You have the best chance of selling your home if we work closely together and keep close communication. I will coordinate all
showings and if buyers want to discuss your property or negotiate price or other terms, I can handle all these details without
emotion and make this an enjoyable experience for you.
Fit to Sell also provides a "Fit to Sell" Action Plan Booklet and "Fit to Sell" Home Seller Checklist.
Each office Independently owned and operated